Floods can be fatal and present many hidden dangers. It’s important to put your flood plan into place at this point and always put your safety first. Remember the following:
Don’t try to walk, drive or swim through a flood
- No matter how small the amount of water, the current could still be strong
- There could be holes and hazards below water level that you can’t see
- You could get hit by an object as it’s swept away
Don’t walk on sea defences, riverbanks or across river bridges
- They can collapse
- You could be hit by waves or rocks
Avoid any form of direct contact with flood water
- It may be contaminated with sewage
Stay away from power lines and electrical wires
- They could collapse into the water.
Keep monitoring the situation via the weather reports or check the live Flood Updates. Remember your flood symbols and what they mean.