Regular travel routes and transport links can also be disrupted by flooding. When flooding is forecast, plan your travel in advance to ensure that you have a safe journey.
If you need to travel during bad weather:
1. Only drive through water if you know for sure that it’s not too deep, generally this would be no more than halfway up your wheels.
2. Drive slowly and steadily and test your brakes as soon as you can after leaving the water.
3. Never drive through fast-moving water, for example at a flooded bridge, your car could easily be swept away.
4. Stay back from piers and coastal roads when high tides and strong winds are predicted.
5. Avoid making unnecessary journeys when transport links are affected by flooding.